USA Export restrictions explained


Part 1: General Information, International
There are a number of items which Brownells sells which need US State Department approval and an export license before they can be shipped out of the country. The regulations are complex and constantly changing but our staff is here to help you understand what is needed and will gladly work with you to correctly accomplish the task.
Generally speaking, items which usually need a license are:
  • Frames
  • Receivers
  • Barrels
  • Barrel Liners
  • Various other gun parts such as triggers, sears, ejectors, magazine tubes, scopes, and other items if the ordered amount is over $100.00 US.
Licenses from the US State Department take time to receive. You will need a DSP-83 form from the US State Department for regulated items. It can easily take 30-60 days to obtain an export license, so plan ahead accordingly. Many other countries also require the buyer to apply for and receive an import permit or certificate in order to be able to import a licensed item into their country; so again, you will have to be aware of what the laws are for your country.
Brownells has an obligation to monitor our shipments for both direct and indirect exports. A direct export is when an order is placed by someone outside of the United States and then ships out of the US when all the required licenses and investigations have been successfully completed for that order. An indirect export is where an order is placed by a customer outside of the US and then is shipped to another location within the United States. Both of these examples could need an export license to take place.
There are a number of things which need to be checked and verified for an export order and Brownells is diligent to conduct the required procedures as specified by the law. Brownells will swiftly report any violations to the appropriate governing authorities of any potential customer which seeks to break those laws.
You will be required to provide an import permit or certificate from your government for us to include along with the export application for you order. You will also have to provide Brownells with a written order for the items you wish to order. This can be an official purchase order or a written order on your company’s letterhead, paragraphing in letter form the items you wish to order. Your signature is required on these items as well. The US Department of State also requires that your written order reflect that Brownells is the supplier your order is directed to. Failure to do so will cause your application to be denied. Unfortunately, the Brownells Order Form from our web site or our Web Order Confirmation cannot be accepted as a written order.
Exports of licensed products are regulated by various US Government agencies. The International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) is administered by The Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC) through the US Department of State. Click here for more information on License Support Documentation information from DDTC:
Other Web Resources
This is the Commerce Department EAR Section 731 Supplement No. 1 Country Chart. In this listing, if your country is listed on the chart and has an ‘X’ in the FC, CC1, CC2, CC3, AT1, OR AT2 columns, you will need an export permit.
This is the Commerce Department EAR Section 774 Category 0 listing. The following classifications will need a license:
ECCN 0A018 – Items which are on the Wassenaar Munitions List
ECCN 0A984 – Shotguns, barrel length 18 inches (45.72 cm) or over; buckshot shotgun shells; except equipment used exclusively to treat or tranquilize animals, and except arms designed solely for signal, flare, or saluting use; and parts, not elsewhere specified.
ECCN 0A987 – Optical sighting devices for firearms (including shotguns controlled by 0A984); and parts, not elsewhere specified.
Canadian customers can click here for information regarding firearms purchases:
Canadian customers can click here for information regarding firearms parts purchases:
Canadian customers are required to provide and Import Authorization which states that you can import firearm components. Our Department of State will only accept a certified English translation of this import permit. DO NOT send your original copy because you will need it to receive the goods when they come to you.
If your country does not require an import license, you will need to post us a certified letter reflecting this information. Your written, signed order is required, as well as the guidelines previously mentioned. If you have any questions you may contact our Foreign Sales Department.
Gun Parts: Fees and Licenses
Many of our items are classified as Gun Parts. There are many strictly enforced rules that go along with these parts.
A Gun Part is “any item necessary to the operation of a weapon”. Many parts fall within this category, such as triggers, magazines, grips, actions, pistol frames, and barrels.
  • Electronic Export Information, EEI
    o An EEI is required for all gun part orders and export license orders.
  • Export License Fees
    o An Export License is required for all Gun Part orders exceeding $100 (U.S.).
    o Export licenses are issued by the U.S. State Department and may take between 30 and 40 days to receive. An Export License is will be required for each order that meets the criteria as set by the International Traffic In Arms Regulations, ITAR.
    o Note: If the value or product nature of your order requires Brownells to apply for an export license there will be an additional charge of $250 or 3% of the value of the order (which ever is greater) to reimburse us for United States State Department fees.
Orders requiring an Export License will be shipped D.B. Schenker, Inc./BAX Global or through the postal service. Neither UPS nor FedEx will deliver these orders.
All actions, barreled actions, pistol frames, barrels, barrel liners, and cylinders (even if their price is less than $100, will require a United States Export License.)

Comments are closed.